RITUAL: OPEN CALL FOR image & short text SUBMISSIONS–deadline extended march 20th
23kg50lb is seeking image-based artwork and now short-text submissions focusing on the historical and contemporary dynamics of RITUAL. 23kg50lb is excited to create our second publication that highlights emerging, mid-career and established artists.
Our lives revolve around conscious and unconscious rituals. In a world that is fraught with political unrest, violence and environmental crises, we may rely on rituals to assuage the impact of these realities. Rituals may bring forward a sense of order in our lives or they may also signify change. They may be tied to the individual, to a community, to a religion. Rituals help us form identity, build memory, track seminal events in our lives. They can also hinder. Today, the idea of ritual is particularly fluid in its construction, sharing various elements of human social existence. We have chosen to investigate ritual through the following five categories:
RITUAL AND MEMORY
Imagery or text that connects ritual to notions of memory or the devices that mediate ritual and memory.
INDEXICAL SIGNS OF RITUAL
Imagery or text that showcases the didactic symbols or objects associated with a ritual.
RITUAL AND PLACE
Imagery or text that discusses the historical and personal settings or locations of ritual.
RITUAL AND TRANSFORMATION
Imagery or text that indicates ritual’s ability to affect or effect change to the human sensation of being.
RITUAL AND SOCIETAL CUSTOMS
Imagery or text that explores the social customs of ritual, which are beyond politeness.
We will be accepting both image series and single images. Please send the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions will be accepted until Midnight, MARCH 20TH – SUBMISSION DEADLINE EXTENDED!!!
IMAGE SUBMISSION REUQIREMENTS
1. 1-6 images representing the work you would like featured in the publication. The submitted jpeg(s) should be a minimum of 8 inches on the shortest side, 300dpi.
2. An image list indicating artist name, title, dimensions in inches, medium and year, as PDF.
3. A brief 200-word artist statement or written description that outlines the submitted work’s connection to the theme of ritual, as PDF.
SHORT-TEXT SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
1. Any short piece of writing or text arrangement (Max 300 words) as PDF
2. Authors name, title, and as PDF
3. Applicable notes or references as PDF
Publication date set for May 2018